I am a disciple of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Although I grew up going to church with my parents, the Lord touched my heart in a real and personal way, and I accepted Christ as my Savior 14 years ago. Psalm 73:25 says "Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you." This is the cry of my heart as I seek to follow the Lord. In 2009, the Lord called me to serve Him in Diriamba, Nicaragua... and I invite you to join me on this adventure.

Yo soy una discipula de nuestro Dios y Salvador Jesucristo. Aunque crecí yendo a la iglesia con mis padres, tome la decision personalpara aceptar Cristo como mi salvador hace 14 años. Salmos 73:25 dice <<¿A quién tengo yo en los cielos sino a ti? Y fuera de ti nada deseo en la tierra.>> Esto es el anhelo de mi corazón. En 2009 Dios me llamó a servirle en Diriamba, Nicaragua, y ahora te invito unirse conmigo en esta adventura...

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Discipleship!

In the great commission (Matthew 28:19) Jesus tells his disciples to go to all the world making disciples and baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Andrea and I attended a seminar about two years ago in Jinotepe, Nicaragua. Something interesting that the speaker talked about was that in the original language the verb in this commandment is not actually the GO and its not actually the BAPTIZE. (Although both are obviously essential.) The verb in this commandment was to MAKE DISCIPLES. God calls us to make an intentional effort to create disciples. True, grounded, committed followers of Christ. He doesn't just call for converts. Or good people. Or church members. He wants more than that. He wants devotion, and heart. He wants disciples.

In February of this year, Quebracho had its first round of Level One Discipleship graduates. There were seven women who stuck with the 18 week course which included lessons explaining this faith that we claim, as well as memorizing a Bible Verse each week and passing two written exams. For a church congregation that can claim not even one high school graduate, this was quite the accomplishment. They received their first diploma... and it was something to show that they are seeking the Lord.
Out of the seven ladies, four continued on with the second level of discipleship, and three will finish the course within two weeks...upon final completion of their exam. A few months ago these three ladies also initiated visitations within neighboring barrios and for the past three weeks they have been going to visit and pray with women in the hospital.

At the beginning of September the second round of discipleship level one had its take off. I am excited to see how the new group of disciples takes grows throughout the course. We will spend the first six weeks talking about different characteristics of Jesus, and afterward the program investigates a different theme each week from a Biblical perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment