I am a disciple of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Although I grew up going to church with my parents, the Lord touched my heart in a real and personal way, and I accepted Christ as my Savior 14 years ago. Psalm 73:25 says "Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you." This is the cry of my heart as I seek to follow the Lord. In 2009, the Lord called me to serve Him in Diriamba, Nicaragua... and I invite you to join me on this adventure.

Yo soy una discipula de nuestro Dios y Salvador Jesucristo. Aunque crecí yendo a la iglesia con mis padres, tome la decision personalpara aceptar Cristo como mi salvador hace 14 años. Salmos 73:25 dice <<¿A quién tengo yo en los cielos sino a ti? Y fuera de ti nada deseo en la tierra.>> Esto es el anhelo de mi corazón. En 2009 Dios me llamó a servirle en Diriamba, Nicaragua, y ahora te invito unirse conmigo en esta adventura...

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Going Backwards in order to go Forward : Isaiah 43:19: Part 1

Well, here it is, month four in the new year, and I am finally adding a new post. As I considered what I should write about, I decided that the best idea would be to go back to the beginning of my adventure in Nicaragua, so that those who don't already know would have a grasp on how the journey began, and how the Lord has woven it together so completely...
In October of 2003, Greg Johnson, the director of Str8way Ministries came to the Campus of Adams State College as a guest speaker. At the end of his "sermon" he mentioned that he was taking a trip to an Orphanage in Masaya, Nicaragua. It wasn't an invitation, but I felt my heart jump, and knew that the Lord was saying, "to this I am calling you Kari." After the meeting, I approached Greg and told him that I felt like I should be on this trip, and he informed me that the trip had been full, but that one person had just backed out, leaving one available spot. The trip was set to leave at the end of October, just two months away, and had a cost of over $1,000. I had no idea how it would happen, but I knew this was it. As I was graduating in December, I decided that I would use any money that came in for graduation for the trip. The Lord was faithful (as always) and provided what was necessary for the trip.
When we arrived at the Children's Home in Masaya, I fell in love. With the kids, with Nicaragua, with missions. (I was already in love with God, but He shared more of His heart with me.)
We spent two weeks with the kids and working in the nearby barrio (neighborhood). I had always seen Compassion commercials asking me to sponsor a child, but having lived in middle class America all of my life, I thought they were just making up all of that poverty in order to get our money. I never imagined that it was real, let alone that they didn't even show us half of it. We went to the dump in Managua, and my heart broke to seek people living in homes made of trash, right in the middle of the dump. By the end of the trip, I had decided that I would be moving to Nicaragua...

No comments:

Post a Comment