I am a disciple of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Although I grew up going to church with my parents, the Lord touched my heart in a real and personal way, and I accepted Christ as my Savior 14 years ago. Psalm 73:25 says "Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you." This is the cry of my heart as I seek to follow the Lord. In 2009, the Lord called me to serve Him in Diriamba, Nicaragua... and I invite you to join me on this adventure.

Yo soy una discipula de nuestro Dios y Salvador Jesucristo. Aunque crecí yendo a la iglesia con mis padres, tome la decision personalpara aceptar Cristo como mi salvador hace 14 años. Salmos 73:25 dice <<¿A quién tengo yo en los cielos sino a ti? Y fuera de ti nada deseo en la tierra.>> Esto es el anhelo de mi corazón. En 2009 Dios me llamó a servirle en Diriamba, Nicaragua, y ahora te invito unirse conmigo en esta adventura...

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Weddings, Babies, and Baptisms


This past month and a half or so has been brimming with activity! (as it usually is!) I have had the privilege in accompanying three couples as they make their covenant pact of marriage, we have welcomed three new little ones into the Quebracho community, and we have welcomed six new members into the church family through their public commitment to Christ through baptism.

Here are a few cultural notes to accompany these updates…

I think I have mentioned before, but weddings in Nicaragua are officially recognized civilly and then later, if the couple so chooses, blessed through a ceremony in the church. The Pastors here do not actually hold any legal right in the marriage ceremony. A young bride who marries in the church will always wear her white dress, and the veil covering her face. It is generally assumed that if the bride does not do these two things, that she is not pure entering into the marriage. After the wedding, the Bride and Groom walk through the streets to the reception, parading their beautiful clothing. (And of course also showing off their new spouse!) Receptions for the most part are celebrated at the home of the Bride with a dinner and of course cake. There is also always loud music to enjoy, normally Christian music if the couple was married in the church, and no sign of dancing, as dancing is frowned upon outside of praising the Lord.

 



 

Our new additions to the Quebracho Community are Flora Paméla (who was recently presented in the church), Isaac Ezequiel (who will be presented in the church this evening) and Luis Miguel (was born a week ago today). Here in Nicaragua, babies are presented in the church as a dedication of faith to God on the part of the parents, not as a baby baptism, as each person makes their own commitment and decision to follow Christ when He touches their hearts. Baby boys are dedicated at 40 days old, and girls at 60 days.

A few weeks ago we loaded ourselves onto an old school bus (One of those that has been rejected for use in the U.S. It’s one of the most common forms of public transportation here.) and along with one other church, we headed out to the river to baptize  six new believers. Two of the six are women who are participating in Discipleship with me (One of whom is Vanessa… you can read her story in an earlier blog post). It is rare(actually I’ve never known of one) to attend an indoor baptism. With the ocean, rivers, and lakes so close, the churches always set out to do their baptisms in the same form that Christ himself was baptized.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update! Lots of good things going on! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete